Monday, April 23

Egyptian Roast Brussels Sprouts with Honey and Dukkah





I know, I know....Brussell Sprouts.  Please, stay with me!

I first came across this recipe, torn from a newspaper at my mum's house.  I picked up the article, read it....and put it back down.  Brussell sprouts?  ewww!  But my mum was determined to make this recipe, and whilst I showed no enthusiasm or offers of help, this dish was made and served as a tapas style entree to a very sceptical daughter and father.

I took a sprout...dipped it in the hummus, with the sprinkling of dukkah and the sweetness of the honey and placed it in my mouth.  Heeeeeelllllooo Brussels Sprouts!  Aren't you a surprise package!!!!!!

Well, I'm converted!  I don't know if it's the fact they are roasted or just the combination of all the wonderful flavours, but now....this is the only way to eat sprouts! needless to say I copied the recipe.

So this time around, I was making this dish mid afternoon for the same tapas style entree before dinner to tuck into.  A friend dropped round and saw me assemble the homemade hummus, arrange the roasted sprouts, sprinke the dukkah and then drizzle the honey.  I offered....she was hesitant...."I don't like sprouts!"  she said.  I insisted and she tried, and then returned for seconds and thirds!

And I consider this dish a winner when my hubby is grabbing at the bread and wiping the plate clean!

Do you need any more convincing?

I made the hummus and the dukkah but you could easily use store bought, but here is what you need....



Roasted Sprouts...
2tbs oil
12 -24 (depending how many serves) brussels sprouts trimmed & scored with an x at the bottom
sea salt and pepper
2 tbs honey
4 tbs Hummus (homemade or store bought)
2-4 tbs dukkah (homemade or store bought)
2-4 tbs honey

1.  Preheat oven to 180 degrees and on a baking tray add the oil and spouts with some s & p and bake for 30-40 minutes until tender (a little charred even).  Toss occasionally too.

Hummus...
If you want to make your own...
1 can of chick peas, drained and washed.
Place in a food processor and blitz adding a good dash of olive oil, some crushed garlic and good squeeze of lemon.  Once pureed, taste and then add some salt to season to your liking.

Dukkah...
If you want to make your own.... (this is how I did it...totally made it up, but it worked!)
In a small frypan on medium heat, place 2 tsp of coriander seeds and 2 tsp of sesame seeds until golden.  If you have cumin seeds add them too, but I only had ground cumin.
Use a mortar and pestle to ground the seeds.
Add some s and p
Add 1 tbs of almond meal (or hazelnut meal) and combine

Now...to assemble.  spread the hummus out of a medium serving dish, and place the roasted sprouts on top.  Sprinkle the dukkah liberally all over and then drizzle 2-4 tablespoons of honey all over.  Give your family, friends or whoever is around a fork and tell them to tuck in!

I bet they all get eaten!
Enjoy
xx



3 comments:

  1. I have not touched a brussel sprout in almost 20 years, perhaps because I grew up having to eat them boiled. I think I may have to try these. (I've found a new blogging home too if you want to pop by) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I know! My hubby loves brussel sprouts and I thought that was just weird until I tried them roasted with walnuts and a sprinkling of parmesan. I'm going to give this recipe a try, it looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sold! What a fabulous idea! Trying it soon. And if it's good, I might even get Steve to grow some!

    Thanks for sharing this gold!

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by....I love knowing your thoughts and comments... xx