Monday, March 7

Brenda does....{moroccan}

I was gifted a new cook book recently.  It's the Jamie Does....{Spain, Italy, Sweden, Morocco, Greece & France}.  I'm totally in love with this cookbook as Jamie travels through each of these countries listed, and learns what food they hold culturally significant and learns about special dishes.  Each chapter is dedicated to each country and it's like going on a little SBS food journey, with the pictures of the places and people really speaking a thousand words.


I already made a few meals from this cookbook and I thought I would start sharing some of the recipes with you - hence the title of this post is Brenda Does (instead of Jamie) becuase, well, this is how I did it!...

Chicken Kebabs with Avocado Dip & Carrot and Orange Salad.

This is a combination of two recipes in the Morocco section.  I loved the sound of the Chicken Kebabs with Avocado Dip, but thought the extra salad would be a nice accompaniment as well.   My favourite was the avocado dip - with the extra ingredients it was so delicious it was hard not to grab some crackers and eat the whole bowl before dinner!

Here is what you need for four serves. I know it seems like a lot, but really it's just about combining all the ingredients for each component - that's it.


- 500g Chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces.
- Flat bread or turkish bread (we used our homemade turkish bread)
- 1 lemon

For the marinade
- 1 tbs hot or sweet paprika (i used sweet)
- 1 tsp turmeric
 - 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3 tbs olive oil
s + p

Avocado Dip
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 fresh green or red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- small bunch of coriander, finely chopped.
- 2 tbs olive oil
-juice of 1 lemon

Carrot & orange salad
- 4 small carrots, peeled and shredded (I used the fine slicer on my grater, so I got round thin slices, not julienne slices)
- Juice of 1/2 orange
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper.

1. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl with a good pinch of s+p.  Toss the chicken chunks in the marinade until evenly coated, then cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes - longer if possible.

2. Spoon the flesh of the avocado into a bowl, add all the other ingredients and a pinch of s+p, and mash well with a fork.  you can make this really smooth or rustic and chunky. Have a taste to check the seasoning.

3. Place your shredded carrot in a bowl and add all the other ingredients.  Add a splash of the oil and red wine vinegar, and you can add some mint leaves if you like (i didn't because i didn't have any!).

4. When your ready to cook your meat, get a griddle pan on medium heat, add your chicken peices and cook for 5-7 minutes.  If you want warm bread, use another pan to heat your flat bread.

All you need to do, is bring all these yummy ingredients to the table, and start ripping your bread and filling it with the dip, salad and chicken.


xx

6 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I'm especially impressed with the look of that homemade turkish bread!! Looking forward to seeing more 'Brenda Does...' posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I've been coveting this book! Have all his others so it wouldn't be fair to leave this one out would it?! I have a bit of a cook book addiction. I'm so going to try this one...looks delish! And then perhaps I might pop off to borders to add this one to my collection. Hope all is wonderful with you lovely friend. :) x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I have seen this book and I'm interested! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love testing new recipes and try to add a few new ones each week to mix things up a bit and save the kiddies from getting bored with the same old thing....I think this will go down a treat :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fantastic cookbook. I love the title of this post and I look forward to seeing more, especially if the meals look this delicious. Strangely enough, I also happen to have almost all of the ingredients to make this up, maybe this is a sign :) Also, i've been wanting to make turkish bread since I first saw you post the recipe. I'm sensing a "Mary does...{moroccan}, inspired by Brenda does....{moroccan}, inspired by Jamie does {moroccan} coming up, hehehe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by....I love knowing your thoughts and comments... xx