Tuesday, January 11

Christmas Turkey




Ok....so I've been asked by so many how my Christmas Turkey turned out, and when they heard it was a success asked for the recipe - so easiest solution is to post it on my blog i thought (and this way I know where my recipe is come December!)  I'm totally bummed that I didn't take a picture of my accomplishment, but you'll just have to believe me that all 4.5 kilo's of my Christmas Turkey was moist, succulent, tasty and cooked to perfection....

You do need to start this turkey the day before as it needs to soak in a brine for 24 hours.  Don't be alarmed.  All up you spend about 30 minutes getting things prepared, but brining is so essential!

So bookmark this for next Christmas - you can never be too organised!

Ingredients:

Brine:
8 litres water
250g sea salt
200g sugar
6 bay leaves
1 tbsp whole peppercorns
4 tbsp maple syrup
4 tbsp honey
1 orange, quartered
2 onions, peeled and quartered

Turkey and Gravy:
4.5-5 kilo turkey
125g softened butter
salt and ground pepper
1 cup of white wine
1 cup of chicken stock, plus a little extra for gravy
1 tbsp cornflour


1.  Make the Brine
Place all the brine ingredients in a large stockpot.  Store to dissolve. Add, turkey and refrigerate for 24 hours.  My turkey was not quite defrosted when I placed it in the brine, so I actually left the pot in a cool spot covered with cling film and a tea-towel.  A couple of hours before roasting remove the turkey from the brine and pat dry with kitchen towel.  Allow turkey to come to room temperature before proceeding.

2. Prepare the turkey
Pre-heat oven to 180 (160 with fan)
Place turkey on wire rack in baking dish and rub all over with softened butter.  Season well with salt and pepper.  Pour wine and stock into dish and cover turkey with aluminum foil (use heaps if you have to!)

3. Roast turkey for 2 hours, basting frequently.  Remove foil and cook uncovered for another 30-45 minutes until golden brown.  Continue to baste with the liquid adding more if required.  Test the turkey by piercing thigh with metal skewer.  If the juices run clear, turkey is cooked.  Remove from the oven and allow to rest, covered whilst you make the gravy (or to pour yourself a glass of vino).

4. Gravy
pour juices from the pan into a small saucepan (you can skim off any fat if there is any).  Add some stock and some cornflour until thick.

5.  All that is left to do, is carve up your turkey and enjoy!!!

(image)

2 comments:

  1. I must confess, I probably won't use this as we're mostly vegetarian at our place. But I've only once had a beautiful moist turkey. And it was divine. Makes me wonder what I've missed out all these years. Plus it makes me wish I was at your place this Christmas ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda, Merry Christmas! Glad your turkey was a success - brining is definitely the key. May all your creative endeavours be as brilliantly wonderful this year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by....I love knowing your thoughts and comments... xx