Thursday, June 10

my creative space...

Buttons - i've always loved them...there is just something about small bits of haberdashery that really make me smile and buttons are one of them!  I was lucky enough to get a part time job at Lincraft when at uni, and loved assorting through the buttons especially at stock take time, when all the stock had to be counted (yes all of it)...and I loved to just sit and count the buttons!  Even  as a little girl I would sneak into the spare room in our old home (which really was my mum's sewing and ironing room).  I would sit on the floor with my mum's button collection and just have fun picking them up, looking at them, admiring them, lining them up in matching colours or size.  Maybe a little doll would keep me company or sometimes my mum would be there whirring along on the sewing machine.

I asked my mum a while ago about that button collection.  She walked out of the room and came back with this and told me I could have them - ALL!  (ok, minus a few business shirt buttons but really who wants those??).  I was pretty excited at this stage, until she said "BUT."  oh no, has she changed her mind??  No, not at all.... she told me that she has had that tin since the 70's and I should keep all my buttons in there...phew...




So as I make things I love to rummage around my newly acquired collection of vintage buttons finding just the right match although there are some that are just so beautiful that it feels a shame to use them - i do really enjoy just looking at them!

for a dose of creativity head over to Kirsty's....

9 comments:

  1. I have similar memories of the mysterious depths of my mother's button collection. I don't know what happened to her tin, so I am using similar old biscuit and lolly tins as my collection grows. I love watching my girls have as much fun as I did at their age and knowing that they will probably pass this 'fun' onto their children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really are very cool buttons, I am loving the blue ones alot. Vintage buttons seem to cost a bomb, lucky you getting such a fab stash of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little blue flower buttons are so sweetand so are those fond memories you have of when you were small:) I love the Quality Street tin, my Grandmother used to have one of those too, they were wonderful times:) Enjoy your new button stash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you lucky lucky girl!! They look sooo yummy...and that quality streets tin! Gold!!! Your birthday cake and giveway sign looked brilliant. Hope your little one had a super day. Wishing you a magnificent weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brenda, I must admit I love counting and sorting too and I love buttons.
    However I am pleased to let you know that you have one my "Groovy Giveaway" so if you can email me your address I will get your prizes off to you in a flash.
    Have a great day!
    Kylie at 'one red fox'

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely treat! Lucky lucky! They looks very pretty. xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  7. have you seen 'coraline' ... buttons are scary !!! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm another one who loves buttons!!! And loves the Quality Street tin that houses your mother's, or should I say your collection! One of the tins my mum kept hers in was a smaller Quality Street - she's not yet passed it on to me but I live in hope ..... x

    ReplyDelete
  9. what an absolutely great thing to get! enjoy your counting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by....I love knowing your thoughts and comments... xx